giovedì 3 gennaio 2008

YEATS, Nobel Letteratura 1923: "for his always inspired poetry, which in a highly artistic form gives expression to the spirit of a whole nation"

Mad As The Mist And Snow

Bolt and bar the shutter,
For the foul winds blow:
Our minds are at their best this night,
And I seem to know
That everything outside us is
Mad as the mist and snow.

Horace there by Homer stands,
Plato stands below,
And here is Tully's open page.
How many years ago
Were you and I unlettered lads
Mad as the mist and snow?

You ask what makes me sigh, old friend,
What makes me shudder so?
I shudder and I sigh to think
That even Cicero
And many-minded Homer were
Mad as the mist and snow.
(William Butler Yeats)



Collected Poems by William Butler Yeats (da The University of Adelaide Library - South Australia)
Collected Poems of W. B. Yeats (da California State University - Northridge)

The Lake Isle of Innisfree (ascolta da Poets.org)
The Collected Poems of W. B. Yeats (Paperback, 1996)
L'opera di Yeats (da Wuz)

National Lecture on Modern Poetry
11 October 1936 - BBC


"YEATS: The Life and Works of William Butler Yeats" (National Library of Ireland - Dublin)

Nessun commento: