sabato 20 ottobre 2007

Wystan Hugh AUDEN: "If equal affection cannot be, let the more loving one be me"

The More Loving One (Homage to Clio)
Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That, for all they care, I can go to hell,
But on earth indifference is the least
We have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn
With a passion for us we could not return?
If equal affection cannot be,
Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am
Of stars that do not give a damn,
I cannot, now I see them, say
I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die,
I should learn to look at an empty sky
And feel its total dark sublime,
Though this might take me a little time.


"'Why do you want to write poetry?' If the young man answers: 'I have important things I want to say' then he is not a poet. If he answers: 'I like hanging around words listening to what they say' then maybe he is going to be a poet."
Le opere di Auden
Auden (da Poets.org)
Intervista a Auden (da BBCFour)
"Auden. Nel centenario della nascita" (RaiRadio3)
Auden Society

Nessun commento: